Aim and objectives:
The aim of the Rescue from a Confined Space Standard is to provide delegates with the relevant knowledge and skills to carry out a Rescue from a Confined Space, whilst adhering to relevant legislative guidelines and Safe Systems of work. Delegates will also be instructed and assessed in the use of appropriate PPE and equipment.
The objectives of the Rescue from a Confined Space are that delegates will be able to understand:
- Applicable regional legislation and guidelines for emergency arrangements
- Hazards associated with confined spaces
- Common causes of confined space emergencies
- Safe Systems of work for confined spaces (incl. PTW where applicable)
- Emergency response communication
- Roles and Responsibilities for emergency arrangements
- Emergency Rescue Plans
- Rescuer safety
- Fire safety
- Rescue and resuscitation equipment
- SCBA equipment and how to don and doff
- Confined space rescue techniques
Delegates will be able to perform:
- Creation of a scenario-based rescues plan
- Pre use emergency equipment checks
- Donning and use of full SCBA set
- Execution of a scenario-based rescues plans using appropriate rescue techniques
- Communication using appropriate methods
- Use of emergency rescue equipment
- Use of resuscitation equipment
This training programme is designed for personnel across the energy sector with an existing knowledge and understanding of confined spaces and the necessary skills for confined space entry and who are required to gain and the knowledge and skill required to conduct rescue from a confined space.
Delegates must possess a valid OPITO Confined Space Entry certificate.
Standards in this Suite
The aim of the ‘Confined Space Entry’ Suite is to introduce delegates to the way in which confined spaces are defined and recognised.
The Suite includes Confined Space Awareness, Confined Space Entry and Rescue from a Combined Space.