Aim and objectives:
The Process Engineering Maintenance (Mechanical) Level 3 National Occupational Standards (NOS) define the expected level of performance, knowledge, understanding and behaviour an individual must achieve when carrying out mechanical engineering maintenance in the workplace. The standards will act as benchmarks for assessing and monitoring on the job competence.
This standard has been designed for individuals who currently work within a process engineering environment at technical level and/or for individuals who are participating in a development programme which would lead to the individual becoming a mechanical maintenance technician.
The standards form part of Level 3 SVQ/NVQ Process Engineering Maintenance (Mechanical).
Scottish Vocational Qualifications (SVQs) and National Vocational Qualifications (NVQs) provide recognition of an individual’s ability to work in real work conditions. Quality assured certificates of competence for SVQs/NVQs are issued by Awarding Bodies / Organisations.
The SVQ Process Engineering Maintenance (Mechanical) Level 3 is jointly awarded by SQA and OPITO. The Process Engineering Maintenance L3 NVQ Certificate (QCF) is awarded by PAA\VQ-SET.
Organisations implementing SVQs/NVQs should refer to the Oil and Gas Industry Competence Assessment and Verification Guidelines. Organisations implementing the SVQ must comply with the OPITO Assessment and Verification Strategy for Upstream Oil and Gas SVQs. Organisations should also refer to the relevant Awarding Body / Organisation guides.
The full and mandatory standards/units to be completed are available to view and download.
- PEM NOS 8 hand over process engineering plant and equipment
- PEM NOS 9 Reinstate the work area after completing the maintenance of process engineering plant and equipment
- PEM NOS 10 Minimise risks to life, property and the environment
- PEM NOS 11 Work safely, minimise risk and comply with emergency procedures
- PEM NOS 12 Contribute to effective working relationships
- PEM NOS 66 Carry out planned maintenance procedures on mechanical and plant equipment
- PEM NOS 67 Deal with variations and defects in mechanical plant and equipment
- PEM NOS 68 Diagnose and determine the cause of faults in mechanical plant and equipment
Optional A units – two standards units to be completed:
- PEM NOS 13 Prepare work areas for engineering activities
- PEM NOS 69 Prepare equipment and support of mechanical engineering activities
- PEM NOS 70 Prepare materials for the maintenance of mechanical plant and equipment
- PEM NOS 71 Adjust mechanical plant and equipment to meet operational requirements
- PEM NOS 72 Remove components from mechanical plant and equipment
- PEM NOS 73 Replace components in mechanical and equipment
- PEM NOS 74 Determine the feasibility of repair of components from mechanical plant and equipment
Optional B standards/units – two units to be completed:
- PEM NOS 75 Interpret detailed mechanical information from technical solutions
- PEM NOS 76 Read and extract information from mechanical engineering drawings and specifications
- PEM NOS 77 Identify and suggest improvements to working practices and procedures whilst maintaining mechanical plant and equipment
- PEM NOS 78 Establish that a mechanical engineering maintenance process has been completed to specification
- PEM NOS 79 Test and monitor the performance and condition of mechanical plant and equipment
- PEM NOS 80 Monitor the performance and condition of mechanical plant and equipment
- PEM NOS 81 Assess the performance and condition of mechanical plant and equipment
- PEM NOS 82 Inspect mechanical plant and equipment.