Aim and objectives:
The Process Engineering Maintenance (Electrical) Level 3 National Occupational Standards (NOS) define the expected level of performance, knowledge, understanding and behaviour an individual must achieve when carrying out electrical engineering maintenance in the workplace. The standards will act as benchmarks for assessing and monitoring on the job competence.
This standard has been designed for individuals who currently work within a process engineering environment at technical level and/or for individuals who are participating in a development programme which would lead to the individual becoming an electrical maintenance technician.
The standards form part of Level 3 SVQ/NVQ Process Engineering Maintenance (Electrical).
Scottish Vocational Qualifications (SVQs) and National Vocational Qualifications (NVQs) provide recognition of an individual’s ability to work in real work conditions. Quality assured certificates of competence for SVQs/NVQs are issued by Awarding Bodies / Organisations.
The SVQ Process Engineering Maintenance (Electrical) Level 3 is jointly awarded by SQA and OPITO. The Process Engineering Maintenance L3 NVQ Certificate (QCF) is awarded by PAA\VQ-SET.
Organisations implementing SVQs/NVQs should refer to the Oil and Gas Industry Competence Assessment and Verification Guidelines. Organisations implementing the SVQ must comply with the OPITO Assessment and Verification Strategy for Upstream Oil and Gas SVQs. Organisations should also refer to the relevant Awarding Body / Organisation guides.
The full and mandatory standards/units to be completed are available to view and download:
- PEM NOS 8 Handover process engineering plant and equipment
- PEM NOS 9 Reinstate the work area after completing the maintenance of process engineering plant and equipment
- PEM NOS 10 Minimise risks to life, property and the environment
- PEM NOS 11 Work safely, minimise risk and comply with emergency procedures
- PEM NOS 12 Contribute to effective working relationships
- PEM NOS 20 Carry out planned maintenance procedures on electrical plant and equipment
- PEM NOS 21 Deal with variations and defects in electrical plant and equipment
- PEM NOS 22 Diagnose and determine the causes of faults in electrical plant and equipment
Optional A units – two standards/units to be completed:
- PEM NOS 13 Prepare work areas for engineering activities
- PEM NOS 23 Prepare equipment in support of electrical engineering activities
- PEM NOS 24 Prepare materials for the maintenance of electrical plant and equipment
- PEM NOS 25 Adjust electrical plant and equipment to meet operational requirements
- PEM NOS 26 Remove components from the electrical plant and equipment
- PEM NOS 27 Replace components from electrical plant and equipment
- PEM NOS 28 Determine the feasibility of repair of components from electrical plant and equipment
Optional B standards/units – two units to be completed:
- PEM NOS 75 Interpret detailed mechanical information from technical sources
- PEM NOS 29 Interpret detailed electrical information from technical sources
- PEM NOS 30 Read and extract information from electrical engineering drawings and specifications
- PEM NOS 31 Identify and suggest improvements to working practices and procedures whilst maintaining electrical plant and equipment
- PEM NOS 32 Establish that an electrical engineering process has been completed to specification
- PEM NOS 33 Test the performance and condition of electrical plant and equipment
- PEM NOS 34 Monitor the performance and condition electrical plant and equipment
- PEM NOS 35 Assess the performance and condition of electrical plant and equipment
- PEM NOS 36 Inspect electrical plant and equipment.